The Boys' Growing Up in the Lord

Share this page with your friends

Bookmark and Share


Hello sir,

I am a 17 year old male. I am a bit hunchback. My friends make fun of me for that; they call me the hunchback of Notre Dame. I read about it on the Internet and found that it could be caused by a growth spurt. I try to straighten up my back, but before I know it my back gets to its slouching position. I am unable to straighten it again.

  • What are some ways to straighten up my back?
  • How much time will it take to be straight?

Thanks for your help and support!


The medical term for hunchback is kyphosis. There are different types of kyphosis based on the underlying cause. Scheuermann's Disease, KyphosisFor example, Scheuermann's disease is a kyphosis caused by the misformation of the spinal bones. This is shown by the young man to the left. The young man to the right is demonstrating a series of spinal problems that are due to posture problems. The big difference between the two is that you can correct posture problems with conscious thought. The other problems are physical require other treatment. If you truly have kyphosis, then the first step is to find out what kind you have so that the correct treatment can be taken.

Let's assume you have kyphosis due to bad posture. The treatment is to force yourself to sit up straight. Sit in chairs without using the back. Pull your shoulder blades together and let your upper chest stick out. Do back exercises, especially ones that strengthen the upper back, such as bent rows with weights. In front of a computer, TV, or game counsel people have tendency to slouch, so take frequent breaks. Stand up tall, roll your shoulders and expand and contract your shoulder blades. Sit in a straight back chair and don't let yourself slouch.