I'm having a rough time going to bed and with school coming up I don't want to be cranky every time I wake up. So how do I fix that?
- Establish a regular bed time routine. For example, I always change to sleeping clothes, brush my teeth, clean my glasses, and read a book for a bit before turning out the light. The routine signals the body to prepare for sleep.
- Keep a regular bed time, even if you don't go to sleep immediately.
- Avoid things that keep you awake: caffeine close to bed time, bright lights (including electronics), heavy exercise just before going to bed, etc.
- Figure out how many hours you naturally sleep without an alarm. I did this one summer when I was in college. I found out that I sleep 8 hours and 20 minutes. Knowing that, if I know I have to get up at 6 am, then I need to get to bed at 9:30 pm. When I do that, I almost always wake up about 5 minutes before the alarm goes off.
- If your sleep schedule is way off right now, start pushing it back in about 30 minute increments.