I have something that looks like little pieces of skin on my groin

Last updated on August 14, 2020


I got these things that have the appearance of little pieces of skin right under my stomach and above my penis where my pubic hair is! I got like six of them and they are really small. They don’t hurt or anything. They look like mini warts that people get under their armpit due to moisture. What do I do? Help!


It sounds like you are describing what is commonly called skin tags. They can vary in size, color, and shape, so yours may not look exactly like the ones shown in this image.

Skin tags can appear anywhere on the body, though they are often seen under the arm. It is not because of the moisture under the arm, but because the skin can get abraded by your arms swinging or by the clothing you wear. You will also find skin tags frequently near where your shirt collar rubs your skin. Obese people will have them develop between the folds of their skin, where the skin rubs together. You can also get them around your trunk where your waistband rubs the skin.

Skin tags, like common warts, are believed to be caused by a virus, though no one has found the precise one. The virus gets into the surface of the skin and causes the skin to grow rapidly. They can be removed but it should be done by a doctor. He will either clip the growth out or use liquid nitrogen to freeze the surface of the skin in that area. Unfortunately, there is nothing to stop new tags from continuing to form. Some people are more susceptible to getting skin tags, such as people suffering from type 2 diabetes.