Is there any specific doctor I can go to about my height?

Last updated on August 18, 2020


Is there any specific doctor I can go to about my height? Can I go to a clinic type doctor? I am just curious as to what they say.


Typically you would start with a general practitioner, who will refer you to a specialist (an endocrinologist — hormone doctor — in this case). However, you should know that the treatments are very costly and only work if given while you are still growing. Once the growth plates close off, there is nothing available that will open them back up. Doctors generally only attempt to treat extreme cases and such cases are known before puberty is reached.

Go ahead and see your doctor, if for no other reason than to bring this issue to a conclusion. You will be better off, though, learning the idea of contentment. Contentment is a personal attitude of being happy no matter what is happening around you. No one can make you be content, you can only choose it. “Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:11-13).

The fact is that none of us can truly control most things in our life. We can’t control our height, the amount of hair on our heads, our jobs, or the weather tomorrow. The one thing we have full control over is our attitude. “Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?” (Matthew 6:27). So stop making yourself miserable about things that are out of your hands. Instead, make the most of what you have — because you have a lot going for you. “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going” (Ecclesiastes 9:10).