The skin where my circumcision scar is is very thin

Last updated on August 9, 2020


Hi! I am a reader of your website and have a question.

I have a problem that the skin where my circumcision scar is is very thin.  So much so that when I have an erection, the skin there almost looks transparent and looks to be on the verge of bleeding.  Is there anything I can do to heal this skin or develop more skin so that when it’s stretched this will not create this problem?

I also have noticed that since this skin has become thin, when I’m erect I bend to the left (the side the skin is thin on) because I think there is simply not enough skin to stretch as there is on the right.

When I was younger, the skin there just looked darker, and there was never this issue, and my erections were straight.  So I am wondering how I can “thicken” this skin back.  It is not just a temporary irritation, as it has been this way for a couple of years now.

Any ointments or creams you can recommend, or exercises or other means would be very welcome.


I am assuming that this problem has developed in recent years since your penis has gotten larger. When you were younger and your penis was smaller, you didn’t have any issues.

That being the case, what you are describing is scar tissue that formed from your circumcision. Exactly what went wrong can only be determined by examination. Likely too much of the foreskin was removed on the left side and since scar tissue doesn’t grow like normal skin, it didn’t keep up with the growth of your penis. This also can occur by an infection in the skin of the penis on the your left side that left a scar behind.

Depending on the severity of the restriction, it is likely that this scar, while making erections uncomfortable right now, will become painful when you marry and attempt to have sex. The best recommendation I can give you is to see a urologist (a doctor who specializes in things related to your penis) or a dermatologist (a doctor who specializes in disorders of the skin). If the scarred area is mild, they might be able to prescribe a cream to soften the skin, but if it is moderate to severe then surgery will be needed to correct the problem.

As awful as it sounds to have someone doing surgery down there, it will be far better in the long run. It is better to have it done while you are young and can recuperate quickly. It is also better to have it done now than after you start having sex. If you wait until later and find sex painful, it will cause you difficulties psychologically with sex that will be hard to overcome.